Information for Etiquette, Safety and Aerial Silks for
Aerial Silks Classes
For your comfort and safety, bring or wear;
- A long-sleeved shirt to prevent chaffing under the
- A gymnastics suit, swim suit or full body suit that
will cover your midriff to prevent chaffing with certain
- Clothing that is close fitting especially at the wrists
and ankles. Wide legged pants get wrapped in the silk
when climbing and are safety hazards.
- Cotton-based fabric on legs to reduce "burn". Synthetic
fabrics are more inclined to burn against the silks.
stretch cotton is less likely to burn and recommended for
the pant leg of your outfit.
A one-piece Aerial Silks training outfit, or unitard, is ideal.
This is available at many dance shops.
- For safety and durability of your Aerial Silks fabric, remove
jewelry, watches and anything else you may be wearing that
could snag or cut the silks material.
- Long finger nails or toe nails may snag the material and cause
you injury, so should be kept trimmed or filed.
- Be aware that body odor and scents will remain in the silks
and make the activity unpleasant for others if an odor is left
behind, so it may be necessary to not wear perfume.
- Aerial Silks artists use “Firm Grip” or rosin powder on their
hands before grasping the material. This substance is sticky
and helps to keep the hands from sliding down the fabric.
Firm Grip can be found at some sporting goods specialty
shops at $15 per aerosol can.